Tuesday 26 January 2010

Book Binding Workshop

For a while now, I've been keen to learn and understand the process of book binding, then I suddenly got my chance! We had a workshop with David on how to create two types of books; a perfect bound book and a single section hard-cover book. The workshop was very practical and we used many traditional materials like card and needles.

I must admit, looking back at the two books, a perfect bound book is most definitely the easier to make. The only negative that still confuses me is the need to fold the pages on the side that will be turned by a reader. It seems useless as the inside of the fold will clearly not be used anyway, but then again, you would only have to print on the side that will be folded over so it may save money on printing costs.

Below are some images from the workshop:




No comments:

Post a Comment